New Year’s Resolutions for Homeowners
As we click our glasses and cheer to a new year, we all get a clean slate to start fresh and improve our lives. Owning a home is a big investment, and you want to make sure that you see that return by taking excellent care of yours, whether you plan to sell soon or not. Here are some New Year’s resolutions for homeowners that can help keep your investment intact.
- Keep up the curb appeal – You can give your home a facelift without dropping a huge amount of money. Investing in some flowers and shrubs and keeping your lawn maintained will make your home look great year-round. You will be amazed by just how attractive your home can look when you simply do routine yard work. Other things like power washing the siding/brick and sidewalks, clearing cobwebs, adding fresh mulch and other small tasks all add up to a great looking home. As a bonus, getting outside and being active can help with your health as you burn off some calories and get some cardiovascular activity during your chores.
- Keep it clean inside – Regular cleaning can keep your home looking its best and help keep your family healthy. Remember to change air filters, vacuum and dust to reduce allergens and keep the air your breathe clean. Routine vacuuming can keep carpets fresh and clean and extend how long they last. Scrubbing bathroom areas keeps them fresh and germ- and mold-free. Get your chore list organized and start the new year on a cleaning schedule to make sure no room gets neglected.
- Make an inspection checklist – Make sure things in your house are in good working order by creating a checklist for yourself. Inspect electrical outlets and light switches. Check drywall for nail pops. If you have a chimney, get it inspected and cleaned to avoid a fire hazard. Make sure all your appliances are well-maintained and operational. Devote a day to paint touch-ups. If you break down home maintenance into small, manageable tasks you do year-round, it won’t feel overwhelming and your home will always look its best.
- Pick a home improvement project for the year – Find something that fits your budget and put it on your to-do list for the year. Whether it’s a simple DIY task like painting a few rooms, choosing new flooring or having your kitchen professionally remodeled, you’re adding value to your home by keeping it up-to-date. You’ll also enjoy your home more when it’s personalized to your tastes and comfortable for your family.
- Declutter – Not only will you be more comfortable and better organized, if you’re thinking about selling your home you will be ahead of the game. Nobody likes a cluttered home, especially not prospective buyers. You can purge items that you no longer need by selling them at a yard sale or online auction site. You can also get a tax write-off by donating things you no longer need to charity. You’ll find mental clarity with a less cluttered house and a little more money in your pocket.
If selling your home or buying a new home is one of your New Year’s resolutions, contact us today.
Chris Colgan is the CEO and Team Leader of the Chris Colgan Real Estate Team. Chris was
born and raised in Gainesville, Virginia and has been in real estate for 10 years. He is a member
of the Re/Max Hall of Fame and is in the top 25 for sales in the state of Virginia out of all
Re/Max agents. He has been recognized as one of the United States’ and Canada’s Top 500
Marketing Experts by the National Association of Expert Advisors.