Let’s Decorate! Simple, Fall Craft Ideas
Autumn is finally here (even if the temperatures don’t quite reflect it yet) and it’s time to decorate our homes with the rich oranges, reds and yellows of the season. Adding some pops of color to your décor doesn’t have to break the bank, and you can have fun while doing it. Here are a few ideas for fall DIY home décor that will beautify your home and leave your piggy bank full. Most (if not all) of the supplies for these crafts can be purchased at your local dollar store, so you can create expensive-looking decorations on a very slim budget.
Fall Leaf Mason Jar Candle Holder
Use either real or fake autumn leaves to create a gorgeous candle holder with only a few supplies and a little bit of elbow grease. This craft uses a decoupage technique and is easy enough that kids can participate (and even make them on their own with supervision).
- Mason jars (plain from the dollar store)
- Mod Podge
- Leaves (real or fake)
- Sponge brush (optional)
- Tea light candles (real or electric)
- Bend leaves to loosen them up so that they aren’t too stiff.
- Dip your sponge brush (or fingers) into the Mod Podge and paint a thin layer on the jar about the size of your first leaf. Allow it to dry for a few seconds to become sticky.
- Stick your leaf to that section. Smooth out any air bubbles. Paint another layer of Mod Podge on top of the leaf.
- Repeat this process, overlapping the leaves to create the design of your choice.
- Allow the Mod Podge to dry. Finish the candle holder off with a twine bow tied around the top of the jar.
- Insert candle and watch the warm glow these beautiful decorations cast in your home.
Glittery Pumpkins and Pedestals
Decorate fake pumpkins and gourds from the dollar store to look like high-end décor. Then create beautiful pedestals to prominently display them and arrange into a centerpiece for your table.
- Fake pumpkins and gourds
- Metallic and neutral spray paint (gold, silver, white, black, beige)
- Glass candle holders (flat round and taper holders)
- Gold and silver glitter
- Mod Podge
- Gold thumbtacks
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Spray paint (preferably outside) all of your fake pumpkins and gourds to the colors of your choosing. Use a variety of colors for a visually interesting centerpiece.
- Use your imagination to stud some gourds with thumbtacks.
- Choose designs for remaining gourds (polka dots, swirls, stripes) and paint designs with Mod Podge. Get creative with your designs. Sprinkle glitter over the Mod Podge.
- To create the pedestals for some gourds, spray paint all of your candle holders with metallic silver or gold spray paint and allow it to dry.
- Attach the round, flat candle holders to the tall taper holders using hot glue.
- Once all your pieces are dry, arrange them in a centerpiece on your table and enjoy a designer look for your home for just a few dollars.
A word of caution: Some people will find crafting their home décor addictive! While we encourage you to have fun, don’t over-decorate, or your home will look cluttered (the last thing you want, especially if you are selling your home). A few pieces strategically placed can make all the difference. If you don’t want to stop being creative, spread the love and give some handmade items to friends, family and neighbors. They are sure to appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Chris Colgan is the CEO and Team Leader of the Chris Colgan Real Estate Team. Chris was born and raised in Gainesville, Virginia and has been in real estate for 10 years. He is a member of the Re/Max Hall of Fame and is in the top 25 for sales in the state of Virginia out of all Re/Max agents. He has been recognized as one of the United States’ and Canada’s Top 500 Marketing Experts by the National Association of Expert Advisors.